Welcome to TLI University!
With more than 20 years in the industry we thought it was time to pass along some of the knowledge that helped us get to where we are today. This is the start of a weekly publication aimed to educate anyone who is curious about transportation and shipping.
This week introduces all the modes of transportation and goes over what information is needed for any shipment.
Required Information for ANY Shipment:
- Origin (Shipper) City, State and Zip Code – Where is it shipping from?
- Destination (Consignee) City, State and Zip Code – Where is it shipping to?
- Shipping Date and Time – When is the specific time or “window” that the shipment is to be picked up by the carrier?
- Delivery Date and Time – When is the specific time or “window” that the shipment is to be delivered by the carrier?
- Number and Types of Pieces Shipping – How many pallets, bundles, cartons or pieces are shipping?
- Weight of the Shipment – How much does the total shipment weigh?
- Commodity of Shipment – What product(s) does the shipment consist of? What is the NMFC number(s)? What is the Freight Class?
- Purchase Order or Reference Numbers – Customers will generally have Purchase Order (P.O.) Numbers and / or any other reference numbers that identify their shipment – These numbers will often need to be referenced on the Customer’s Bill of Lading, invoices and any other paperwork that the customer requests
- Value of Shipment – Is the product high value? Is additional cargo insurance required?